WHAT IS THE BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT?
Do not seek to have an emotional experience. The Bible says, " The just shall live by faith ". God
wants you to receive the Baptism in the Holy Spirit by faith! Feelings will come, but leave that in
God's hands. You do your part and He will do His. Feelings are beautiful and good, but we do wrong
when we seek to create an emotion ourselves. God will give you overwhelming emotional experiences,
but let Him do it. Your part is to TRUST HIS WORD|
The following is a suggested prayer. Pray this prayer in faith and you will receive the Baptism in the Holy Spirit immediately, with the Biblical evidence of speaking in other tongues.
" Lord Jesus: I do acknowledge you as my Lord and Saviour. I thank you that you died for my sins and I received my salvation by faith; now I receive the gift of the Holy Spirit by faith, and I want to thank you now because I have received the Holy Ghost, now, I expect to speak with tongues, and thank God I will as the Spirit gives me utterance. Thank you, Jesus. Amen ".
Now, as an expression of your faith that God has heard and answered your prayer, just begin to praise God, but not in your own language. The experience of the apostles on the day of Pentecost can be your experience, too. Simply open your mouth and begin to praise God and trust Him for the language unknown to you, a language of the Spirit that is perfect praise to God. I encourage you to do this for several reasons:
First: You are offering perfect praise to God in the Spirit, Jude 1:20
Second: You are cooperating with God in a spiritual miracle. As you begin to speak the Spirit will give you utterance. Act 2:4
Third: It will give you another Hotline to Heaven with which to pray and praise the Lord.
Fourth: It will be a means of personal edification to you. (Read all of 1 Cor. Chapter 14, and note what Paul says about the benefits of praying in tongues).
He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself. 1 Cor. 14:4
The Baptism in the Holy Spirit will bring many changes into your life:
1. Jesus Christ will become more real and personal to you than ever before.
2. As you read the Bible, God will speak to you more clearly. You will find its truths more meaningful. You will have a greater desire to read it. John 16:13
3. You will feel love for others flowing through your life such as you have never experienced.
4. You will begin to experience miracles day by day as you maintain a Spirit-filled life.
5. You will have a desire to begin ministering to others in the power of the Holy Spirit.
6. It will be easier for you to share Christ with those who do not know Him. You will have a new power in witnessing for Him. Acts 1:8.
7. As you open up your life fully to the ministry of the Holy Spirit, you will be used in spiritual gifts such as: healings, miracles, prophecy, tongues, interpretations of tongues, word of knowledge, word of wisdom, etc. (See 1 Cor. Chapters 12 and 14; also Romans 12)
Now that you have received the Baptism in the Holy Spirit by faith, it is important to walk in the Holy Spirit by faith, it is important to walk in the spirit moment by moment. Eph. 5:18 says " Be filled with the Spirit ". This simply means that we are not to rely upon a one-time experience but daily we are to experience fresh fillings of the Spirit.
To live a consistent Spirit-filled life, observe the following:
1. WALK BY FAITH! DO NOT DEPEND ON YOUR FEELINGS OR EMOTIONS! " We walk by faith and not by sight ". (11 Cor. 5:7) Claim the filling of the Holy Spirit by faith whether you feel spiritual or not. Put your faith out in front. Your feelings will line up with your faith.
2. CONFESS SINS INSTANTLY! Unconfessed sin in your life will grieve the spirit and you will lose your joy and power. Instant confession brings instant restoration 1 John 1:9
3. ACT YOUR FAITH! Step out by faith! We will never know the resources of God until we attempt the impossible. Witness for Christ. Pray for the sick and expect healings. Say " Yes " to opportunities to serve Jesus. Remember " Faith without works is DEAD " James 1:22.
4. CONFESS GOD'S WORD - NOT YOUR DOUBTS! Satan is the author of doubt and fear. Fill your heart with the Word of God. " Resist the devil and he will flee from you ". James 4:7
5. PRAISE GOD FOR EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOU! " In everything give thanks ". 1 Thess. 5:18 Make it a habit of life to thank God for your problems as well as for your blessings. It will change your life.
6. BE AVAILABLE! Get involved! Become active in ministering to others. You have received the Baptism in the Holy Spirit not only to bless and enrich your own life but to provide a channel through which God can touch and transform the lives of others.
7. SPEND TIME ALONE WITH GOD IN HIS WORD! " And He (Jesus) withdrew Himself into the wilderness and prayed ". Luke 5:16
Prayer and the Word with fasting is a powerful combination, use it often.
Remember, The Baptism in the Holy Spirit is simply a door into a deeper experience of the reality of Jesus. There is much more to be enjoyed in God than we have yet experienced. LET GO AND LET GOD DO IT!
I trust this little writing has answered some of your questions and has been a blessing to you. As we draw near to God, He will draw near to us, and our problems and questions that seem so great will fade away in the light of His Glory and Grace.
I am thrilled to be living in a generation when God is pouring out His Spirit upon ALL flesh.
God is restoring " HIS CHURCH " and the whole world is feeling the impact of His visitation and restoration through the supernatural power, the baptism in the Holy Spirit.
Sincerely in the Love of Christ.